Me

Me
It's me! Rob!

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

I love the moral of the story in Caddyshack

Time for a new blog post. I know it has been a while but I have been very busy this summer trying to have a good summer. I have been trying to golf A LOT and spend tons of time with my daughter. Every time I blink it seems that she is bigger and older. I must enjoy this time while I can!

I love Bushwood Country Club. If you don't know what Bushwood is, get a life. It is only the country club from the BEST movie of all time, Caddyshack. The base of the story is that there are two factions in the club. One faction is headed by Judge Smails, who wants a club that is very traditional and proper. The other faction follows Al Czervik, a new member who likes to party more and not take life so seriously. The club ends up splitting sides and of course the good guys win as always.

I like the various themes in the movie. One problem lies in every typical struggle. Power. Two factions want power so that things can be run their own way. Neither side is willing to deal with the others, just like in politics. Of course, sometimes it is impossible to deal with some situations because they don't make sense. A good example is the battle between Carl Spackler and the gopher in Caddyshack. Who is the bad guy? The gopher won't leave and is destroying the beauty of the course by tunneling and ruining fairways and greens. Carl tries to make him leave with explosives. In the end, the entire course is destroyed because of the war with Carl. Of course, the gopher would say that it was Carl's fault for trying to kill him even though he was destroying the course from underground.

Who can you relate to? I look at myself like Ty Webb. He is an amazing golfer, likes to have a drink, has fun and is a ladies man (much like myself, hahaha). He hooks up with the hot chick in the movie much like I have with my wife. He has a good head and knows when someone is doing the wrong thing. He knows right from wrong. That's me!

To me, it's an easy choice as to who to cheer for. Who's side would you pick? I choose Al Czervik. I don't like Judge Smails. He is just plain mean, and I don't like mean or immoral people.

I like people who meet my "Caddyshack standards". Don't be a backstabber, like Judge Smails. Don't be a friend of someone who has no moral compass, like Doctor Beeper is with Smails. Try to be friendly to me and my family. Enjoy places for the fun that can be had there, like Al Czervik. Know what you are doing and do the right thing, like Danny Noonan. Don't be an overall prick, like Tony D'Annunzio (the one who yells "Noonan" while he is putting). Know how to run a business and be successful, like Ty Webb. Most of all, if you are a woman, try to look more like Lacy Underall than Maggie O'Hooligan.

Also, remember these words of wisdom:

Ty Webb: I'm going to give you a little advice. There's a force in the universe that makes things happen. And all you have to do is get in touch with it, stop thinking, let things happen, and be the ball.

Don't forget to post comments below. I look forward to hearing them!

No comments:

Post a Comment